Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Mmm, mmm good.

I was in business school and enjoying some Campbell’s soup one day when it occurred to me that I should do a report on them.

I love Campbell’s soup and could live off of it for the rest of my life.  Unfortunately for me as business student, Campbell’s is not a publicly traded company, so I had to write their management and ask them to voluntarily give me an overview of their production process.  They politely responded that it was proprietary and added some coupons for soup.  So I dropped it as a subject for business school.  But I was still curious.

I’m not all that great at sleuthing about the internet (I usually just ask on Straight Dope) but I did learn that they put their factories adjacent to large farms they own.  I found a site selling used business equipment and discovered that they make the broth in vats about the size of a telephone booth.  I had imagined much larger batch production.  After all, they have probably twenty versions of soup that have the same chicken stock.

I later learned on some TV show about another soup maker that they plop the ingredients in the can first and then add the broth.  So there is never large amounts of complete soup.  It gets mixed can by can.
 
The other day,  I had the first can of alphabet soup since childhood.  I was very tempted to strain it and see what the letter distribution was.

Here in DC we are not snowed in.  We’ve had little to zero snow and all of the roads are salted just in case.  But due to my lack of proof of licensure to drive, I might as well be snowed in.  Aaah, but I have a cupboard filled with Campbell’s soup, so I will survive. Mmm, mmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment