Tuesday, January 11, 2011

What am I Going to Be when I Grow Up?

I’m 44 years old and married to the military, meaning I may not have any job I take for more than a few years.  I’m educated and experienced as a teacher, a CPA, and an attorney.  I’m in the process of moving to D.C. (actually live here now, but waiting for my stuff to get here and to put my previous house up for sale.)

In D.C. the prospects are so endless I don’t know where to begin.  I’ll probably have to end up  using an employment agency, just to sort it out, and to find out what my skill set is worth here.

It is both a benefit and a burden that I really don’t care what field I work in.  All I require is a middle class income and reasonable hours.  I know I don’t want to go into private practice as either an lawyer or an accountant.  That’s for climbers.  I’m done climbing.  I’d be happy sitting in a cube for 40 hours a week, reading contracts, or doing research, or writing.  I’d be happpy being a paralegal, as long as I didn’t have to type.  I’d be happy teaching business law or accounting at a community college. And there are probably a million other things I wouldn’t mind, that I just don’t know about.  I could fight the good fight for some non-profit or lobbyist, but I really don’t care what the cause is.  Maybe I'll get on with the Fed in some way.  I think am not typical for the D.C. labor force, with little ambition and no cause to further. 

No comments:

Post a Comment