Monday, January 17, 2011

Reading Hitchens

I'm spending my insomnial Sunday night hours reading Hitch-22.  I'm not yet half way through it, and it is already even better than I thought it would be.  When I'm done I will write more, but a few thoughts.  I'm chronologically in the 1970s where he is building his journalistic career after a fascinating college career as a leftist revolutionary.  Predictably he makes an eloquent case throughout for his views and ideas.  But I really like one sentence.  He's reflecting on how the movement fizzled out, and he says, "I resolved to try and resist in my own life the jaded reaction that makes one coarsened to the ugly habits of power."  He also demonstrates the great advantage conferred by attending "high school" (he was the age we were in high school, but he was hardly doing high school work) at Cambridge and college at Oxford.

No comments:

Post a Comment